Creating an experiment
- To create a new experiment, use the "New experiment" button at the top of the Experiment Overview page.
- On the next screen, enter your new experiment name, unique from prior experiments. This cannot be changed. Enter optional metadata about your experiment. The description can be changed later. Click "Save" when done.
- (Optional) If working with more than one Pioreactor in your cluster, it's useful to assign experiment-specific labels to them. These labels show up in the user interface, and make progress checking and updating easier. The labels can be changed later. Click "Assign" when done.
Use these labels to keep track of treatments on multiple Pioreactors. For example, labels '15C', '25C' and '35C' can be used to differentiate temperature treatments. These labels will be shown on graphs generated in the Overview page on the website.
When starting, it's useful to run a self test to confirm that your Pioreactors are all working as expected. How to run a self-test.
When working with small amounts of a microorganism, or very turbid media, you can obtain more accurate growth rates by blanking the vial before inoculation.
- Insert your sterile vial containing media into the Pioreactor before inoculating with your species of interest.
- On the website, click the Pioreactors tab on the left-hand menu, and choose one of the active Pioreactors.
- Select Calibrate, and under the Blanks tab, click Start. The Pioreactor will now record the optical density of the blank vial.
- Repeat for all the Pioreactors to be used.
- A notification will appear when a Pioreactor has finished blanking.
- You can now inoculate your vials and begin your experiment.
Start activities from the Pioreactors page.
On the Pioreactors page, you should see at least one Pioreactor under Active Pioreactors. Using the "Manage" button, you can start an activity . Once started, jobs can also be paused (and then resumed) or stopped. Clicking the "Manage all Pioreactors" button will give you control to start and stop activities on all active Pioreactors.
The typical sequence of activities to start is:
- Temperature automation, and selecting Thermostat
- Optical density
- Growth rate
- Any other activities. Any of the automations can be started, or custom jobs you've added to your Pioreactor.
If you'd like to change the settings of your activities after you start, navigate back to the Pioreactors tab. Under Manage for a single Pioreactor or Manage all Pioreactors, click the Settings tab.
Here you can change the settings of your activities (such as temperature, RPM, and dosing volume) without pausing or stopping the activity.